Wednesday, January 25, 2012

attitude

I have been thinking a lot about what I tell myself I can and can't do in my life. I was busy raising children, I was busy volunteering at my school and church, I was busy taking care of the yard, the house, the dog and so on.......I was too busy to take some time for my dreams and aspirations. I told myself that I had other things that made a bigger difference than me taking a class or studying a new skill. I felt myself going through motions each day not looking forward to something.
I realized that ATTITUDE was a huge part of my problem. I wanted a balance in my life to fit everything in  and be content and happy each day. I read this quote today and found it so profound for me:
 "Attitude, to me is more important than the past......than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. I t will make or break a company, a church, a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day." by Charles Swindoll

I realize that all those small details in life were adding up to my discontentment. I want to show my girls how to be happy when you had only 4 hours of sleep or had to go on a field trip with 120 4th graders for 6 hours in the pouring rain or sewing up halloween costumes the day of halloween. I want to embrace my life, my circumstances and show joy each day and gratitude for where I live and the free time I do have to do what I love. When I share my abilities to others it feels so good! I know I can't spend 24 hours a day creating art but I can find an hour here and there and that is okay.
Try, try, try......

5 comments:

  1. Finding balance is one of the hardest things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow I think that post is really going to resonate with so many of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your comments-I want to be as honest as I can with myself and others.life is complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, Miriam! After starting a full-time teaching job this past September, I found myself feeling much the same way as you describe here. I was feeling an enormous desire to create, but convinced myself there wasn't enough time or energy to work on my art. I was growing very frustrated, til I realized it all came down to choices. I've been taking a few hours here and there to create in my art journal, and it's made me feel a lot better about everything. You are right...we all need to take full advantage of whatever spare time we have, and refill our cups with creativity--or we can never feel totally fulfilled!

    I'm so glad there are others out there who feel this way, because I think we can be of great support and encouragement to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Than ks for sharing Charles Swindoll's quote! So true! Yes we do have a choice, and we should choose for JOY! Blessings! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and helping me expand my horizons!